mayhap

mayhap

I read compulsively, eclectically and fannishly.

Quand un roi perd la France (Les rois maudits, #7)
Maurice Druon
Antigones
George Steiner
The Captive & The Fugitive
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Solaris: The Definitive Edition - Stanisław Lem,  Bill Johnston,  Alessandro Juliani I've never read the earlier, English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English Was Entirely Unknown-style Polish-French French-English translation, nor have I seen either of the movie versions. I'd been meaning to get around to this book for a while now, and the release of this fresh new audiobook edition was my impetus to actually read it.

I liked it. I always find it odd to go back and pick up a book that I know is Important in the History of the Development of SF; it's never quite clear beforehand on what levels I'm going to enjoy it. My favorite parts were the chapters of infodump, backfilling a whole history of Solaristics–the study of the distant planet and its enigmatic quasi-lifeform, what it does, what it means. There is more summarized and suggested theorizing than there is data, nothing ultimately conclusive, which is what makes it feel like a real, alien field of study.

In the present story, there are a handful of people in an enclosed, claustrophobic space who can't trust each other and and it's not unlike a very cerebral version of a horror flick. The only female character isn't real, literally: she is a projection of the male character's desires and guilt, and she is erased, completely, by some kind of techy disintigrating ray so that he can move on from her. I find this hardly unproblematic and also, frankly, the weakest part of the book, just because it's kind of boring to read, but it makes emotional sense and holds together.