mayhap

mayhap

I read compulsively, eclectically and fannishly.

Quand un roi perd la France (Les rois maudits, #7)
Maurice Druon
Antigones
George Steiner
The Captive & The Fugitive
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket & Related Tales - Edgar Allan Poe, J. Gerald Kennedy I picked this up so that I could read Pym: A Novel homages Pym, even including the cries of "tekeli-li!" (In the interest of full disclosure, I got that information off Wikipedia and my closest experiences with Lovecraft involve wearing various Lovecraft-inspired perfume oils from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.)

Finally, there is the ending, or non-ending, of the book, which crashes to an abrupt halt with a handful of diagrams and a flurry of footnotes as figleaves for its nakedness. Having followed the action of the novel thus far, one might readily imagine that Poe had written himself into a corner and was more than ready to stop adding new incidents to the narrative, but first he teases a reference to Symmes's Hollow Earth which, if you are me, you may be familiar with from The White Darkness. I was definitely expecting this subject matter to make up more than approximately one sentence of the novel.

A bizarre, glorious and provocative failure. I feel like I can see why Mat Johnson felt the urge to write an entire book in response to it.