mayhap

mayhap

I read compulsively, eclectically and fannishly.

Quand un roi perd la France (Les rois maudits, #7)
Maurice Druon
Antigones
George Steiner
The Captive & The Fugitive
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Passion Play - Beth Bernobich I wanted to enjoy this book more. I ultimately found it an entirely unsatisfactory object, neither fish nor fowl, like a fishstick dipped in BBQ sauce.

It started out promising on both fronts. I liked the worldbuilding well enough, especially the mythological story of Lir and Toc. As a romance, it seemed fairly iconoclastic to make your heroine refreshingly sensible and your hero a bisexual eunuch (I don't spend a lot of time in romance fandom, so maybe I'm being unfair to them, but I think at least some of them spend a lot of time arguing about the allowable variations on the Standard Romantic Hero).

Then ... it all kinds of falls apart. The author obviously wants there to be intrigue and scheming because it's sexy and fun, but utterly fails at actually writing it. The inevitable romance is bland and unconvincing when it is finally consumated near the very end of the book, particularly the consumation itself, where it turns out that Lord Kosenmark's castration has had absolutely no sexual side effects whatsoever, except for rendering him infertile! How convenient! (Yes, I am aware that many eunuchs of old did in fact have very active sex lives, but I think more of them incorporated ... non-traditional sexual practices.)

Then, to top it all off, it ends in the middle of not very much at all happening. If it were actually a middle book, I would call it middle book syndrome, but it's not, so I just call it disappointing.

Points for putting a person of color on the cover, though. The heroine's dark complexion, while not accompanied by racial issues that are analog to our own, is definitely a part of the story.