mayhap

mayhap

I read compulsively, eclectically and fannishly.

Quand un roi perd la France (Les rois maudits, #7)
Maurice Druon
Antigones
George Steiner
The Captive & The Fugitive
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Consider the Lobster and Other Essays - David Foster Wallace David Foster Wallace is probably the Platonic ideal reader of his own work, dry and self-deprecating, maybe even a little self-loathing, although perhaps I'm projecting unfairly from my knowledge of his suicide.

These essays (at least, the ones contained in the audiobook, which are the titular Consider the Lobster, Big Red Son and How Tracy Austin Broke My Heart, which may or may not be representative of the collection as a whole, but DFW read them so he must have considered them at least adequate) put me in mind of Bill Bryson's work or Douglas Adams's scarce and cherished nonfiction, but instead of welling out of a place of glee and a desire to share it, they feel more like exercises in working out with precision and exactitude exactly how unhappy the subject is making him in the rather gloomy hope that this will make the feelings more bearable.

They are, however, lucid, interesting and very, very funny. I plan to find a paper copy to read the rest.